This holiday season, Marathon Petroleum employees are making a meaningful impact in our communities by volunteering and donating to those in need.
“It’s a special time of year for many people, but for others, it can be very stressful or challenging. We’ve been thoughtful in helping those who need it most,” said DeEll Jordre, HR Business Partner at Marathon Petroleum in North Dakota.
Here’s a look at some of the activities from our locations across the country.
- In Findlay, Ohio, employees at the Marathon Petroleum headquarters quickly put together a toy drive to help replace donations stolen from Toys for Tots in Hancock County. Employees in Findlay also helped more than 30 local children through Clothe-A-Child of Ohio get new clothes for winter.
- Our Anacortes, Washington, refinery and the Contractor Safety Council presented the 2021 Holiday Drive that benefited the Valley Herald Christmas Fund. Our team members dropped off new unwrapped toys, books, hats, scarves, socks and gloves. Marathon Petroleum matched the employees’ donations of more than $13,000.
- In Martinez, California, employees at our renewable fuels facility sponsored Operation Santa at the U.S. Coast Guard Base at Alameda, making a $15,000 donation to Vietnam Veterans of Diablo Valley, which benefits active military and Goldstar families. Attendees were also treated to gifts, gift cards, a meal and a visit with Santa Claus.
- Marathon Pipe Line’s Lima Area donated to the Toys for Tots campaign for the 11th consecutive year. Employees donated many bikes, scooters, fishing rods and reels, sports equipment, and over 200 toys.
- With more than 350 meals being provided daily, Marathon Pipe Line’s Ohio Valley Region employees volunteered at the City Mission of Findlay prepping food for the week ahead. For 86 years, the City Mission has helped men, women, children and families move from crisis to stability.
- Marathon Pipe Line’s East Sparta Area provided 400 boxed lunches to village residents along with local landowners of East Sparta. The East Sparta Team has been participating in this event for 15 years. Employees also donated $800 to purchase gifts to be donated to families in need in the area through the Helping Hands of Ohio organization, an organization they have supported for 10 years.
- Drivers from the transportation fleet in Canton, Ohio, gave back to children served by The Salvation Army of Canton Citadel. Drivers took the Angel Tree tags and went shopping to fulfill the wish lists and ensure children in the community have gifts to open Christmas morning.
- Our Dickinson, North Dakota, Renewable Diesel Facility employees banded together with the United Way of Dickinson and Social Services to purchase gifts for area children in need. This generosity was able to spread joy to more than 100 families in financial distress this holiday season.
- Our Mandan, North Dakota refinery employees teamed up with Toys for Tots to purchase toys for local children. Employees purchased, wrapped, sorted and delivered toys to area schools.
- HONOR, our Veterans Employee Network chapter in San Antonio, Texas, donated to Wreaths Across America and volunteered to lay wreaths at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery to show appreciation for our service members during the holiday season. HONOR also participated in the Holiday Stockings for Heroes Program organized by Soldiers’ Angels. Our employees collected snacks, games and holiday-themed items to stuff more than 50 stockings for deployed service members and veterans in VA hospitals.
- In addition, San Antonio office employees adopted a total of 131 children and seniors through The Salvation Army Angel Tree program, providing much needed clothing and gift wishes to those who may not otherwise receive gifts this holiday.
- Our team in Los Angeles, California, held its annual Adopt-A-Family event with SBCC Thrive L.A, supporting 30 local families and more than 80 children at the event held at our Los Angeles refinery.